Heart Healthy Recipes with Walnuts
Share article Heart Healthy Recipes with Walnuts on:
Crunchy, hearty and oh-so-versatile, walnuts make it an easy choice when it comes to heart-healthy options. We’ve teamed up with Marisa Moore, RDN
, and California Walnuts
to share a few heart-healthy recipes featuring this wholesome nut.
Roasted Walnut & Cauliflower Tacos
Recipe By: California Walnuts
Seasoned cauliflower acts as a convincing meat substitute in these tacos, appealing to both vegetarians and meat-lovers alike.
For the Filling:
For the Tacos:
- 1 sm. head Cauliflower, chopped
- 1 cup California walnut pieces, chopped
- 2 Tbsp. Olive oil, divided
- 3/4 cup Onion, minced
- 2 tsp. Garlic, minced
- 1 med. Jalapeño, seeded and minced
- 1/2 cup Water
- 1/4 cup Tomato paste
- 2 tsp. Chili powder
- 1 tsp. Cumin, ground
- 1 tsp. Oregano, dried
- 1/2 tsp. Salt, or to taste
- 12 sm. Corn tortillas, warmed
- 1 1/2 cups Green cabbage, shredded
- 3/4 cup Cotija cheese, crumbled
- 1/2 cup California walnuts, chopped, toasted
- Fresh cilantro leaves
- Lime wedges
- Preheat oven to 475°F. Coat cauliflower with 1 tablespoon olive oil; place on a baking sheet and roast for 25–30 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Reduce oven temperature to 350°F and toast walnuts for 5 minutes or until lightly browned. Add to pan with cauliflower.
- Heat remaining olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion and sauté for 5 minutes or until lightly browned. Add garlic and jalapeño cook for 2 minutes more. Stir in water, tomato paste, chili powder, cumin, oregano and salt; cook until mixture is thick and excess water has cooked off. Stir in cauliflower mixture.
- Spoon mixture into warmed tortillas and top with cabbage, cheese, walnuts and cilantro. Serve with lime wedges.
- Optional: Cauliflower mixture may be ground in a food processor so that it resembles the texture of ground meat.
Walnut Butter – 4 Ways
By Marisa Moore, RDN
Packed with good-for-you fats, walnut butter is a creamy canvas to add different flavors. Here’s a simple walnut butter recipe with four ways to flavor up your blend.
- 2 cups toasted California walnuts
- Salt to taste, optional
- Add the toasted walnuts to a blender or food processor. Let the blender run on high until the walnut butter is smooth and creamy. This can take up to 5 minutes. Add the walnut butter to a jar and seal with a lid. Store it in the refrigerator.Once the walnut butter is blended and before adding to jars, add 1 of these:
- Grind 4 pitted Medjool dates (bulk bins) in a small food processor or blender until a smooth paste forms. Add the paste to the blended walnut butter. Blend until the dates are incorporated and smooth.
- Add 2–3 tablespoons of Sprouts Organic Raw Honey.
- Add 2–3 tablespoons of Sprouts Organic Maple Syrup.
- Add 1 teaspoon Sprouts Organic Ground Cinnamon and 1 tablespoon Sprouts Organic Raw Honey.