Top 4: Grapefruit Recipes
Share article Top 4: Grapefruit Recipes on:
It’s prime time for grapefruit season! Sprouts partnered with four registered dietitians to create recipes that include this sweet and delicious citrus. Try one of them today!
Grapefruit-Marinated Flank Steak with Creamy Cilantro Dressing
Recipe By: The Fond Life
While common wisdom says that steak is best on the grill, this recipe has me questioning that. The flavors of the marinade are bright and tangy and bring out the best in this cut of meat.
- Grapefruit Marinade (recipe below)
- Flank steak
- Creamy Cilantro Dressing (recipe below)
For the Grapefruit Marinade:
Whisk the following ingredients together in a bowl:
- 2 Tbsp. Sprouts Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 tsp. Fresh ginger, grated
- 1 Tbsp. Sprouts Brown Sugar
- 1 Tbsp. Rice vinegar
- 1/2 Grapefruit, juiced
- 1 Garlic clove, minced
- 1 Tbsp. Green onion, chopped
Creamy Cilantro Dressing:
Blend the following ingredients together in food processor or blender:
- 1/2 cup Sprouts Mayo
- 1/4 cup Cilantro, washed and dried
- 1/4 Poblano pepper, seeds removed
- 1 Lime, juiced
- 1 tsp. Sprouts White Wine Vinegar
- 1 Garlic clove, minced
- 1 pinch Cayenne pepper
- Place flank steak in large plastic bag. Pour marinade over flank steak, seal bag and set in fridge for 4 hours or overnight.
- Heat cast iron pan or grill pan on your largest burner over high heat. Do not use any oil. When pan is very hot, place marinated steak in pan. For medium rare, cook steak 4 minutes on one side, and 3 minutes on the other.
- Let sit for 8 minutes.
- Cut with sharp knife against the grain.
- Top with cilantro lime dressing and serve.
Recipe By: A Baker’s House
Take yourself on a tropical escape with these dreamy Coconut-Grapefruit Squares! This dessert is a twist on the classic lemon square. A traditional shortbread crust with the addition of shredded coconut is combined with a vibrant grapefruit filling and a crunchy coconut topping.
For the Base:
- 1/2 lb. Sprouts Butter (2 sticks)
- 1/2 cup Sprouts Powdered Sugar
- 1 1/2 cups Sprouts White Flour
- 1/2 cup Sprouts Organic Shredded Coconut
For the Filling:
- 4 Sprouts Farm Fresh Eggs
- 2 cups Sprouts Granulated Sugar
- 1 Grapefruit, zested
- 1/2 cup Fresh grapefruit juice
- 1/3 cup Sprouts White Flour
- 1 tsp. Baking powder
- 1 cup Sprouts Organic Coconut Chips
- Line a 9×13-inch baking dish with parchment paper. Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Make the base: Cream the butter and powdered sugar until fluffy. Add the flour and the shredded coconut; blend well.
- Spread the base in the prepared baking dish. Press the base evenly to the edges. Bake at 350°F for 20–22 minutes or until the edges are lightly golden.
- Make the filling: Beat the eggs until light and fluffy. Slowly add the sugar; continue to beat until thick and well blended. Add the zest and juice of the grapefruit, the white flour and baking powder. Beat until thoroughly mixed. Pour over the baked crust. Scatter the coconut chips over the grapefruit filling.
- Bake at 350°F for 25–30 minutes or until the filling is set. You’ll know the filling is set when the middle of the filling barely jiggles. The shredded coconut will be lightly browned.
- Let cool then cut into squares to serve.
Sparkling Grapefruit Sangria
Recipe By: The Speckled Palate
Celebrate seasonal produce by mixing this slightly sweet, yet delightfully tart Sparkling Grapefruit Sangria! Freshly squeezed pink grapefruit juice serves as the base of this cocktail that can be enjoyed all winter long.
- 2 cups Pink grapefruit juice, freshly squeezed and strained (3 lg. ones)
- 1 750-ml. bottle Sauvignon blanc
- 4 oz. Simple syrup (you can add more or less, depending on the sweetness of the grapefruits)
- 2 Blood oranges, sliced
- 1 Meyer lemon, sliced
- 1 Pink grapefruit, sliced
Individual Sparkling Grapefruit Sangria
- 6 oz. Grapefruit sangria
- 3 oz. Sprouts Sparkling Lemonade
Make the Sangria
- Using a juicer (handheld or electric), juice the grapefruit.
- Strain the grapefruit juice using a fine mesh strainer, then transfer to a pitcher.
- Pour the sauvignon blanc into the grapefruit juice.
- Add the simple syrup.
- Place the sliced fruit in the sangria, stir until combined and refrigerate for at least 10 hours.
Serve the Sparkling Grapefruit Sangria
- In a white-wine glass, pour in 6 ounces of the sangria.
- Top the sangria with 3 ounces of Sprouts Sparkling Lemonade.
- Garnish with a thin slices of grapefruit and Meyer lemon. Serve cold.
Grapefruit Salmon Salad
Recipe By: The Nutrition Adventure
This Grapefruit Salmon Salad will definitely brighten your day! Paired with a fresh vinaigrette, this salad makes the most of winter citrus.
- 1/4 cup Fresh orange juice (about 1 small navel orange)
- 2 Tbsp. Fresh grapefruit juice
- 2 Tbsp. Sprouts Olive Oil
- 1 Tbsp. Minced cilantro leaves
- 2 tsp. Sprouts White Wine Vinegar
- 1 tsp. Fresh lime juice
- 1 clove Garlic, finely minced
- 1 pinch Salt
For the salad:
- 2 6-oz. Salmon fillets
- 1 tsp. Sprouts Olive Oil
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 5-oz. pkg. Sprouts Baby Kale + Spinach Mix
- 1 Grapefruit, cut into sections
- 1/2 Avocado, sliced thin
- 1/2 cup Edamame, thawed and shelled
- 1/4 cup Red onion, thinly sliced
- 2 Tbsp. Raw, unsalted pumpkin seeds
- Prepare the citrus vinaigrette by combining all ingredients in a small mixing bowl or liquid measuring cup. Whisk together and set aside.
- Prep the salmon fillets by placing them skin side down on a plate. Pat with a paper towel to dry. Season with salt and pepper.
- Heat a 10-inch skillet over medium-high heat. Once hot, add 1 teaspoon olive oil. Carefully place the salmon fillets skin side up in the skillet and reduce the heat to medium. Cook for 4–5 minutes or until the salmon is cooked halfway through.
- Gently turn the salmon fillets over and continue to cook for another 3–5 minutes. Once cooked through, place the fillets on a clean plate. The skin should now be easy to remove in one piece using a pair of tongs or fork.
- Prepare the salads in two large salad bowls starting with the baby kale and spinach mix. Top with the grapefruit, avocado, edamame, red onion and pumpkin seeds. Place one salmon fillet on top of each salad and enjoy.