Pack your picnic basket and head outdoors! Our friends and bloggers, Emily and Barbara, created a few fresh and healthy summer recipes for you to try.
Antipasto Skewers with Balsamic Drizzle
This is a delicious and easy appetizer that is sure to be a hit at any gathering. Perfect for any summertime party!
- Uncured Genoa Salami
- Mix of marinated olives (pick your favorites—blue cheese, garlic, or red-pepper stuffed work too)
- Cherry tomatoes
- Artichoke hearts
- Marinated mozzarella
- Cheese tortellini
- 4 Tbsp. Sprouts Fat-Free Zesty Italian Dressing & Marinade
- 1 bottle Balsamic vinegar
- Cook the tortellini according to the instructions on the package.
- Toss the cooked tortellini with Sprouts Fat-Free Zesty Italian Dressing & Marinade for extra flavor.
- Assemble your skewers in whatever order you prefer, alternating ingredients. We recommend starting with something sturdy, like a cherry tomato, to create a firm base for the skewer.
Balsamic Reduction Instructions:
- Pour the balsamic vinegar into a nonstick saucepan set over medium-high heat.
- Bring the balsamic vinegar to a boil. Warning: the vinegar smell will be strong!
- After it comes to a boil, reduce the heat to medium-low and stir occasionally while the balsamic vinegar simmers.
- Continue to cook the vinegar until it has reduced by at least half—you want it to have the consistency of syrup.
- Remove the pan from the heat and allow the vinegar to cool before using.
- Drizzle the reduction over the skewers.
Nectarine, Feta and Basil Salad
This is a bright and light summertime salad. It is the perfect accompaniment to any picnic or summer barbecue.
- 4 Nectarines (or more if desired, peaches would also work well in this dish)
- 1 pkg. Of your favorite feta
- 2 bunches Basil—Sprouts Basil is some of the best we’ve seen and smelled!
- Rinse the nectarines and cut them into bite-sized pieces.
- Rinse the basil and chiffonade it into thin strips.
- Place the cut nectarines and basil into a bowl.
- Crumble the feta and sprinkle it over the nectarine and basil mixture.
Quinoa Caprese Salad
This healthy and easy Quinoa Caprese Salad makes the perfect side dish for any summertime meal. It is also great served chilled the following day!
- 1 cup of Quinoa
- 1 clove Garlic
- 1/4 cup Avocado oil
- 1 pkg. Mini mozzarella balls
- 1 1/2 cups Cherry tomatoes, rinsed and halved
- 1/2 cup Basil leaves, rinsed and sliced into bite-size pieces
- 1/2 cup Sprouts Balsamic Vinaigrette
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- In a saucepan, sauté a chopped clove of garlic in avocado oil on low-medium heat for 1–2 minutes.
- Next, pour quinoa into the saucepan and toast for a minute. Stir to combine.
- Cook quinoa according to package instructions; set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix the mini mozzarella balls, cherry tomatoes and basil. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Add the cooked quinoa to the large bowl and stir to combine with the mozzarella, tomato and basil mixture.
- Stir in the Sprouts Balsamic Vinaigrette and season with salt and pepper to taste, if needed.
Rustic Tuna Salad Sandwich with Herbed Goat Cheese and Olive Tapenade
This rustic tuna-salad sandwich is bursting with bold, tangy flavors and is a crowd-pleaser!
- 1 Tbsp. Dijon mustard
- 1 tsp. Organic honey
- 1/3 cup Avocado oil
- Zest and juice of 1 lemon
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1/2 cup Olive tapenade
- 1/4 cup Parsley
- 1/4 cup Dill
- 1/4 cup Sprouts Balsamic Vinaigrette
- 1 pkg. of Herbed goat cheese
- 1 12-oz. can Tuna fillets in spring water, drained and flaked
- 1 12-oz. can Tuna fillets with oregano and olive oil, partially drained and flaked
- 1 14-oz. can Sprouts Organic Garbanzo Beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 pt. Cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 loaf of Sprouts Italian Craft Bread (Country White Bâtard)
- Make the dressing: Whisk the Dijon mustard, honey, lemon zest and lemon juice in a medium bowl. Slowly whisk in the avocado oil until well blended. Whisk in the dill, parsley, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and pepper to taste.
- Toss the tuna, chickpeas, 1/4 cup olive tapenade and tomatoes in the dressing in the same medium bowl. Next, add in the Sprouts Balsamic Vinaigrette. Taste and season according to your preference.
- Cut the Italian loaf in half and toast in the oven at 400°F for 5 minutes on each side to give the bread extra crunch. Remove the bread from the oven and spread 1/4 cup olive tapenade on one half of the loaf and the herbed goat cheese on the other.
- Scoop the tuna salad mixture onto the loaf half with the olive tapenade on it. Top with the half of bread slathered in goat cheese. Cut the massive sandwich into six smaller sandwiches.
Mango Moscato Berry Spritzer
This is a refreshing, tropical and light white-wine spritzer recipe that will delight your taste buds with island flavors. Perfect for any summertime party!
- 3/4 can of Passion Fruit La Croix
- 1 bottle of Santero Moscato & Mango (or a similar Moscato of your choosing)
- 1/2 cup Organic blueberries
- 1/2 cup Organic blackberries
Tip: Save a few of the blackberries and blueberries for garnish
- Pour the Moscato and Passion Fruit La Croix into a pitcher with ice cubes and stir gently.
- Add the blueberries and blackberries to the pitcher and muddle with a large spoon.
- Fill each cup with the Spritzer and muddled berry mixture.
- Add a few blackberries and blueberries to each glass for garnish.
Meet Emily & Barbara
Welcome to Fortuitous Foodies! We started this blog as a way to share all of our culinary creations, restaurant reviews and travel experiences with the world. We believe that food and travel is something that should be savored and shared!