Video Description: Pack healthy, to-go lunches with fresh snacks and a bento box.
Healthy & Wise LunchesPacking a healthy and appealing lunch that kids will enjoy is a no-brainer. Simple planning is all that’s required. Choose foods that are well-balanced energy sources—complex carbohydrates, proteins, fruits and vegetables plus low-fat milk, just to name a few. Pack water to drink instead of juice or sugar-sweetened beverages.
Kid’s Lunches: Assembly RequiredPre-packaged lunches are popular with kids because they provide control-style lunches. Here are some fun and healthy “lunchable” ideas:
- Assemble Your Own Pizza: Whole-wheat pita bread triangles, turkey pepperoni, cheese and a sauce for dipping.
- Sandwich Assembly: Whole-wheat bread, lean deli meat, lettuce, cheese and a spread—avocado, hummus, or pesto makes a great spread.
- Yogurt and Granola Mix: Granola (Sprouts has a wide selection of great tasting granola), dried fruit, yogurt, fresh fruit and some nuts.
- Snack Attack: Baby carrots, snow peas, small sweet peppers, grapes, sliced cheese, multi-grain crackers and almond butter.
Switch This for ThatExchange processed and high-sodium foods for healthier alternatives—your kids won’t know the difference.
- Replace processed lunchmeats with pre-cooked rotisserie chicken.
- Replace fried potato chips with baked kale chips.
- Replace cookies with whole-wheat pretzels.
- Replace sugary desserts with fresh whole fruit.
- Replace crackers with fresh sliced veggies.