- Place your leftovers in a shallow container, less than two inches deep, to cool quickly because bacteria grows rapidly at warmer temperatures.
- Refrigerate foods within two hours of preparation. This rule changes to one hour when the temperature is above 90°F. Remember, the clock starts ticking as soon as your food is done cooking.
- Try to use leftovers within two to three days or freeze them for longer storage.
- It’s very important to reheat leftovers to an internal temperature of 165°F before you eat them.
- Always use a food thermometer to verify the temperature of your leftovers.
Many of us rely on leftovers to get though our busy week! Use the tips below to safely handle leftovers and protect your family from foodborne illness.