Healthy Pizzas without a Dough Crust
Share article Healthy Pizzas without a Dough Crust on:
Everyone loves pizza, but it’s not the healthiest option on the menu. Until now! Portobello mushrooms, zucchini and eggplant replace the pizza crust, which is then stuffed with all of our favorite toppings. Never ever feel guilty about eating pizza again!
Admittedly, this is not a pizza in the truest sense of the word, but if you’d like pizza flavors with a “crust” that’s gluten-free, low-glycemic and low-carb, this is an idea you may end up liking just as much as we did!
- Slice a large zucchini into thick rounds. Combine extra virgin olive oil and crushed garlic in a small bowl and set aside.
- Lay your zucchini slices on the grill. Let cook for 3 minutes then turn over and brush the garlic oil mixture on each slice. Cook for 3 more minutes and turn over again and brush the other side with the garlic and oil.
- Cover the slices with pizza sauce, cheese and desired toppings and let cook until the cheese begins to melt.
A delicious healthy alternative to pizza that makes a great party appetizer, too! Get creative with the toppings! Pesto and fresh mozzarella would be delicious. Or you could go Greek with feta, olives, roasted peppers, etc. For an easy vegetarian meal, skip the prosciutto.
- Cut one large eggplant into discs 1/4–1/2-inch thick.
- Drizzle the eggplant discs lightly with olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Grill the eggplant 3 minutes on each side, or until tender.
- Top with sauce, cheese and desired toppings. Grill until cheese is melted and toppings are heated through.
Personal Portobello Pizzas
Using these large mushroom caps as the basis for our pizza is not only super healthy its low-calorie and low-carb. You can mix and match any toppings you desire, creating your own stuffed mushroom pizzas. For a unique idea, try replacing the tomato sauce with fresh pesto!
- Remove the stems and scrape the gills from the mushroom caps. Dress them with a liberal drizzle of extra-virgin olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Grill the mushrooms 3 minutes on each side until tender.
- Fill mushroom caps with desired toppings and top with cheese.
- Continue grilling until the cheese is melted and serve immediately.