Protein is essential for overall health and vitality. By eliminating processed carbohydrates and added sugars from your diet, you can improve general health, weight control, and reduce the risk of heart disease, stroke, cancer and diabetes.
Protein-rich foods can trim your waistline by maintaining lean muscle, balancing blood sugar and increasing satiety after a meal. Ultimately, this helps keep your metabolism burning at a healthy pace.
Select Lean Proteins:
- Choose skinless white chicken or turkey breast meat.
- Buy lean cuts of beef: round steak and roast, top sirloin, top loin and shoulder.
- Choose extra-lean ground-beef at least 90 percent or 95-percent lean.
- Buy low-fat turkey, roast beef or chicken luncheon meats instead of high-fat meats such as bologna or salami.
Other Protein Choices:
- Consume seafood at least twice a week. Bake or broil salmon, trout, halibut or cod.
- Plant proteins—beans, peas, hemp or soy—contain little or no saturated fats.
- The incredible egg is packed with protein.
What Is a Serving Size of Protein?
- 1 oz. of meat, poultry, fish or tofu
- 1/4 cup cooked beans or lentils
- 2 Tbsp. hummus
- 1 egg
- 1 Tbsp. peanut or almond butter
- 1/2 oz. of nuts or seed (12 almonds, 24 pistachios, 7 walnut halves)