Next time you’re ready to experiment with your tacos, sandwiches or protein bowls, give this fruit from the tropics a try.
Did you know?
Jackfruit may be a trending item here in the United States, but has been a staple for curries and stews for hundreds of years in Asian countries. When spiced and slow cooked, the flesh is most comparable to pulled-pork and an excellent meat replacement.
Throw together a quick 30-minute meal that’s packed with nutrients!
- 2 20-oz. cans Jackfruit, drained and rinsed
- 1 Tbsp. Olive oil
- 1 med. Onion, diced
- 2 Garlic cloves, minced
- Paprika, salt and pepper, to taste
- ½ cup Water
- 1 cup Barbeque sauce
- Corn tortillas, buns or fresh greens
- In a large skillet, sauté the jackfruit in olive oil.
- Add onion and garlic, and continue to cook for another 5 minutes, then season with paprika, salt and pepper.
- Add water and barbeque sauce; simmer, covered for 15 minutes.
- Serve your saucy jackfruit on corn tortillas, soft buns or a fresh bed of greens!