Top 3 Dairy-free Alternatives
Share article Top 3 Dairy-free Alternatives on:
Just because you lead a dairy-free lifestyle, doesn’t mean you should miss out on life’s simple indulgences. Try these top three dairy-free alternatives.
From almond to soy, choosing a plant-based milk can feel overwhelming. We’ve put together a little cheat sheet about these shelf-stable milks and included how we would use each one—ranging from bowls of cereal to substitutes when cooking. Learn more our Non-Dairy Alternatives
with the different options available to you here!
Before you bid farewell to pizza or grilled cheese, use one of these stand-ins:
- Daiya Cheese is free from dairy, soy and gluten. Their products are available in shreds and slices.
- Nutritional yeast, found in our grocery aisles, is perfect for sprinkling on top of dishes—think of it like parmesan cheese but with more zing!
- Cashew cheese is a creative alternative. Try the below recipe!
Cashew Cheese Recipe
- 1 cup Cashews soaked in 3 cups of water
- 2 tsp. Lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp. Salt
- Black pepper, to taste
- 1/4 cup Water
Source: Clean Food Dirty Girl
- Soak cashews for at least 1 hour.
- Drain and rinse cashews.
- Place in a food processor with lemon juice, salt and black pepper.
- Pulse for 1 minute to combine ingredients.
- Add water and process until completely smooth.
Brain freeze from sweet treats are unavoidable. Brain freeze from not knowing what to eat can be avoidable.
- Sorbet is usually dairy-free. Always look at the ingredients to make sure it meets your dietary needs.
- Ice cream alternatives give traditional ice cream a run for its money. Try them all! You can find frozen desserts made from soy, coconuts, almonds and cashews.
- The sweets found in the Sprouts Frozen Department offer great bases for dairy-free milkshakes. All you need is your favorite ice cream alternative, a blender and a dash of creativity! Bananas, dates and nut butters make for great add-ins!
With these dairy-free alternatives, you don’t have to think twice before enjoying a “cheese” slice!